Tart Lemon Curd Recipe is Ready in 15 minutes
Brightly flavoured and the colour of sunshine, Tart Lemon Curd is lovely made into tartlets or served alongside a simple cake.
It’s a bit like the feeling we’d get as kids when spring days were finally warm enough to get our bikes out - an airy freedom that comes with the shedding of winter.
When I was in grade five I won a poster contest and the prize was a five-speed bike, the kind with the curly handles. It was my first 10-speed-looking bike and I was very excited. The challenge was that I won the bike in March, when it was still snowy so I couldn’t take it outside. For a few days mom let me keep it in the kitchen and I rode it from the back door to the front hall. My first outdoor bike ride on that bike was very memorable.
Lemon curd is one of those desserts that suits the lengthening days. Brightly flavoured and the colour of sunshine, it’s lovely made into tartlets or served alongside a simple cake.
My daughter Amelia went through a stage where she made this lemon curd often and would eat it by the spoonful.
Tart Lemon Curd(adapted from Nigella Lawson)
- ¼ cup butter
- ½ cup sugar
- 3 eggs, beaten
- ½ cup fresh-squeezed lemon juice
- Zest of one lemon
- In a medium pot, melt the butter over medium heat.
- While butter is melting, whisk the remaining ingredients together and add to the pot once the butter has melted.
- Stir constantly until it thickens, about 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and cool.
Flaky Wholegrain Pastry for lemon tarts
- 2 1/2 cups flour (whole white and whole wheat pastry flours are nice together, or spelt flour)
- 2 tsp. sugar
- ¾ tsp. salt
- 1 cup cold butter
- ½ cup ice water
- Add dry ingredients & cubed butter to food processor.
- Process just until it resembles coarse meal. Sprinkle in ice water and process until mixture starts to clump together. (Be careful not to over mix.)
- Pat into a disk & chill for at least 30 min.
- Roll out pastry and cut into disks that fit into mini muffin tins (no need to grease them).
- Bake at 375 F for about 15 minutes or until the little cups start to brown around the edges.
- When cool, fill with the lemon curd.