Wholesome & Healthy Blueberry Bran Muffins Recipe
A healthy muffin recipe for breakfast or snacking. Light textured and high in fibre. Not too sweet.
Some of my favourite family vacation memories are from the tail end of our family holidays. We spent many March Break vacations at Sugarloaf, Maine, and we would finish the week with an overnight in Bangor. I loved the sleep-over-style fun of having most of us stuffed into one hotel room but best of all I loved our breakfasts. Dad would slip out in the early morning and come back with a big box of doughnuts. We never had store bought baked goods so having chocolate glazed and cream-filled doughnuts was a huge treat, like having dessert for breakfast.
I have always loved breakfast at home too. When we were really little my brothers Timothy and Michael and I would wake early on Saturday mornings to watch cartoons. We’d be up when the test signal was still on so had time to make breakfast. We’d make what seemed like an entire loaf worth of cinnamon toast, stack it high on a plate, and settle down in the playroom, TV all to ourselves.
I still love buttery cinnamon toast, but wholesome muffins are another morning favourite. Made with healthy ingredients like wheat germ, natural bran and stone ground flour, these blueberry bran muffins are very satisfying. It’s a recipe from my sister that I have been making for more than 20 years.
M.J’s Blueberry Bran Muffins RecipeMakes 18- 20 muffins
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup oil or melted butter
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup yogurt
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 cup wheat germ
- 1 cup natural bran
- 2 cups flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 ½ cups blueberries
- Preheat oven to 375 F and prepare muffin pans.
- In a medium bowl, beat the eggs and whisk in the sugar.
- Add oil, milk, yogurt, vanilla and mix well. Stir in wheat germ and bran.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add blueberries then pour in the wet mixture.
- Mix gently until just combined.
- Spoon batter into prepared muffin pans and bake for about 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven to a cooling rack. Cool in pan for 10 minutes before removing.