Zucchini Crust Pizza Recipe
Zucchini crust pizza has great flavour and texture and is a delicious alternative to bread-based pizza crust.
When I was eight I had my long wavy hair cut boy-short so I wouldn’t have to wear a bathing cap in my cousins’ pool. My thinking at the time was that bathing caps were for the old ladies at the beach who swam in their sneakers and never put their heads under water anyway. Plus, it took a lot of effort and pulling of hair to get a bathing cap on over very long pony tail. When I came back from the Rothesay Corner barbershop sporting my new haircut mom said it looked like the moths had got me.
My cousins sometimes grew massive zucchinis in a garden beside their pool. The zucchinis were impressive but difficult to use us since a little zucchini goes a long way in most recipes. You can only make so many zucchini muffins so that’s when mom started making zucchini relish. Mom always kept a lookout for other ways to use zucchinis which is likely why this recipe for zucchini crust pizza caught her eye.
Zucchini crust pizza has great flavour and texture and is a delicious alternative to bread-based pizza crust. It takes just minutes to mix up. The crust can be made several days ahead and reheated with the toppings.
Easy gluten-free option: Made with just 1/4 cup of flour, just substitute any gluten-free flour to make this recipe gluten-free.
The recipe is from one of our family's favourite cookbooks: Moosewood Cookbook by Mollie Katzen.
Zucchini Crust PizzaIngredients:
- 2 cups (packed) grated zucchini
- 2 eggs, beaten
- ¼ cup flour (can use GF flour)
- ½ cup grated cheddar or mozzarella
- ½ cup grated parmesan
- 1-2 Tbsp. chopped fresh herbs
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Grease a 10” spring form and line the bottom with parchment paper. If you haven’t any parchment paper grease and flour the pan well.
- Grate zucchini on the side of a box grater. Grab it a handful at a time and squeeze out as much water as possible.
- Add zucchini to a large bowl, and add the eggs, flour, cheese, herbs and 1 Tbsp. of olive oil. Mix well.
- Spread in prepared pan and bake for 35 to 40 minutes, until golden.
- Remove from oven and cool for 10 minutes.
- From here you can top with your regular toppings and bake it in the same pan, or you can remove the crust from the spring form pan and place it on a cookie sheet or pizza pan.
- Top with pesto and sautéed mushrooms or thinly sliced tomatoes and sprinkle lightly with cheese. Bake at 400 F until warmed through or broil for a few minutes, watching closely so it doesn't burn.