Add a delicious sparkle to your baking with citrus sugar.
Made with dehydrated lemon and lime zest stirred into granulated sugar, this flavourful citrus sugar couldn’t be easier.
It’s a lovely sugar to have on hand. Sprinkled over biscuits, cookies and quick breads before baking it brightens the taste of everything it touches with a pure lemon and lime flavour that is irresistible. I have also added it to whipped cream as an aromatic sweetener.
I make citrus sugar with raw cane sugar. If you use regular white sugar the beautiful yellow and green of the citrus zest will be much more noticeable. (Although I prefer the caramel flavour of evaporated cane sugar.)
Green tip: Anytime you’re using citrus zest organic fruit is your best choice.
The following recipe is barely adapted form The Kitchn
Lemon & Lime Zest-Flavoured Finishing Sugar
- 2 lemons (organic), scrubbed & dried
- 3 limes (organic), scrubbed & dried
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- Preheat oven to 170 F
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and zest your fruit over the parchment.
- Spread zest out into a single layer.
- Bake zest for 7-10 minutes until it feels dry, almost crumbly. (Watch closely – you don’t want it to turn brown.)
- Remove from oven, cool and stir into sugar. Store in a glass jar in a dry place.