Ginger Crinkle Cookie S'Mores Recipe
|Chewy Ginger Crinkle Cookies are ideal for s'mores.|
School lunch fatigue usually hits during the school-year home stretch so early June is just the time to put extra special treats in kids’ lunchboxes.
When I was little we walked home at noon so didn’t pack a lunch but we always brought some sort of snack for recess. Around this time of year when my brother and I were in grade three we brought lobster legs for recess one Friday. Lobster legs were a special treat but Timothy must have been too busy to eat them at recess because come Monday morning they were still in his desk...
This week’s treat at our house has been oven s’mores made with my grandmother’s recipe for Ginger Crinkle Cookies. This is my mom’s all-time favourite cookie and is a favourite of mine too. The cookies are irresistibly chewy and crispy. The original recipe called for shortening but I prefer them made with butter.
Ginger Crinkle Cookie S'Mores
- 3/4 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 2 cups + 2 Tbsp. flour (spooned in)
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. cloves
- 1/2 tsp. ginger
- Sugar for dipping
- Beat butter and sugar. Add egg then molasses.
- In a separate bowl, whisk flour, baking soda, salt and spices.
- Stir into butter mixture and mix until combined.
- Form it into walnut-sized balls. Dip the tops in sugar and place them 2” apart on a parchment-lined cookie sheet.
- Bake at 375 F for 8-10 minutes.
To make Ginger Crinkle Cookie S'mores:
Place cooled cookies, crackle side down, on a cookie sheet. Top with a square of dark chocolate and a marshmallow and bake at 350 F for 4-5 minutes. Remove from oven, top with another cookie.