Lemony Ukrainian Poppy Seed Cake
|This poppy seed cake has a full 3/4 cup of poppy seeds & lots of lemon juice & lemon zest.|
The recipe is from one of my all-time favourite cookbooks, Moosewood Cookbook by Molly Katzen. It was one of my very first cookbooks and I have cooked more from it than any other cookbook I own.
Ukrainian Poppy Seed Cake
- ¾ cup poppy seeds
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 cup sugar (white or light brown)
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups flour
- 1 Tbsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 3 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 tsp. lemon zest
- Preheat oven to 350 F and butter and flour a 10” tube pan.
- Place poppy seeds and milk in a small saucepan and bring to a simmer. Remove from heat and cool for at least 15 minutes.
- In a large bowl cream butter and sugar. Add eggs one at a time.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Mixing by hand add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture, alternating with the poppy seed mixture (beginning and ending with the dry.)
- Stir until almost combined then add the vanilla, lemon juice and lemon zest.
- Spread batter in the prepared pan and bake for about 40 minutes or until a tester comes out clean.