Beet and tart apple salad recipe
Grated raw beets, tart apples and carrots combine beautifully in a healthy, nutritious salad that my kids love.
This is the spring we have been waiting for and with spring comes a whole new kind of salad craving. I don't want anything too leafy these days and I want colour. Lots of colour.
I pile this beet and tart apple salad on my kids' plates and they eat it all up.
Firm, tart green apples are the perfect foil for the earthy flavour of beets. And molasses is just the right sweetener for the vinaigrette since it offers flavour that works so well with beets.
Beet and Tart Apple Salad Recipe
- 1 medium beet, peeled and grated
- 2 carrots
- 1 granny smith apple
- Zest of one lemon
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. vinegar (cider or balsamic)
- 1/2 Tbsp. fancy molasses
- 3 Tbsp. good olive oil
- Sea salt & pepper
- Juice of ½ a lemon (optional)
- Peel the beet, carrots and apple and grate them on the coarse side of a box grater. (Or thinly slice the apple if you'd like some variety to the texture)
- Toss together in a serving bowl.
- In a small bowl, combine the vinegar and molasses then whisk in the olive oil.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Pour dressing over the grated mixture a little at a time, tossing as you go, until you have the salad dressed to your liking.
- Sprinkle over lemon zest and a squeeze of lemon juice