Oatmeal Brown Bread the Easy Way
|Brown bread is cold weather comfort food, just right alongside baked beans or a hearty stew.|
There’s something about brown bread that speaks of fall. It’s a cold weather food that’s just right alongside baked beans or a hearty stew. Like many Maritimers I grew up eating fresh-baked brown bread with supper on Saturdays and I suspect on those nights I ate a lot more bread smeared with butter than I did anything else on my plate.
This recipe came from my aunt Nana back in the late 1960’s, when she was living in Dorval. It was given to her by a next door neighbour who just happened to be from Sussex. What are the chances? Two transplanted New Brunswickers living next door to one another in a suburb of Montreal. Sharing recipes from back home.
Any brown bread recipe is good but this one is great for a couple of reasons:
You don’t need to proof the yeast and there is no kneading involved so it’s quick and easy to mix up. I think it was the first yeast bread I ever made and I’d recommend it as a starter bread for anyone intimidated by thoughts of bread baking.
I love this recipe. You don’t need to proof the yeast and there is no kneading required so it’s quick and easy to mix up.
No knead oatmeal brown bread
- 2 cups boiling water
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 2 tbsp. dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water
- 2 tsp. sugar
- 2/3 cup molasses
- 6 cups flour
In a large bowl combine butter, salt and rolled oats. Pour over the 2 cups of boiling water. Cool to lukewarm.
- In a small bowl combine the 1 cup warm water and sugar, stir in yeast then add to the cooled oat mixture.
- Add molasses.
- Slowly stir in flour. (You may need to turn the dough out onto the counter to incorporate the final cup or two of flour.)
- Divide dough in half, shape into loaves and place in two greased loaf pans.
- Cover with a clean dishtowel and let rise until doubled in bulk (about 1.5 hours, but really depends on how warm your kitchen is).
- Bake at 350 F for 45 minutes to an hour, until loaves sound hollow when tapped.
- Remove from pans to cool.