Sweet potato scones - pure comfort food
|The eye can trick the taste buds - sometimes people think these are cheddar scones.|
The trick to making them often is to bake several sweet potatoes at once, peel off the puffed out skin while they’re still warm and freeze the flesh it in ¾ cup portions. Another trick is to make two batches at once. But I use two separate bowls for this otherwise you overwork the dough and they’ll be a little tough.
Sweet potato scones
- 1 2/3 cups flour
- 1T brown sugar
- 2 ½ t baking powder
- ½ t salt
- 6T butter (cold)
- ¼ cup milk or cream
- ¾ cup mashed sweet potato (about one potato, baked at 375 for about 45 min)
- 2-4 T sesame seeds
- Pre-heat oven to 425
- Combine dry ingredients and cut in butter.
- Add milk to sweet potato then add this mixture to the dry and mix very gently.
- When it has almost all come together, turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface.
- Knead it gently a few times to incorporate the last of the flour-butter mixture. Pat it into a circle that’s about 1 to 1 ½ inches thick.
- Gently pat sesame seeds into the top.
- Place on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake 25 minutes
A few tips for the method:
Mash the baked sweet potato in a measuring cup so you know how much you have. (Amazingly it usually works out to about 3/4 of a cup).
Pat the dough out gently into a 6" or 7" disk: