Moroccan Chickpea Stew for #Meatlessmonday
Warmly spiced Moroccan chickpea stew makes a satisfying meatless meal.
Eating less meat is one of the best things that you can do for the environment. Going meatless, even one day a week is (environmentally speaking) like taking your car off the road for a few months.
Want to save the world, and eat really well? Get to know a few meatless dishes, like this Moroccan chickpea stew. It tastes even better the next day so make a big batch.
Moroccan Chickpea StewIngredients:
- 2 Tbsp. oil
- 2 onions, minced
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tsp.paprika
- ½ tsp. smoked paprika
- 1 tsp. turmeric
- 1 1/2 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. coriander
- ¼ tsp. cinnamon
- About ½ cup roasted red peppers, diced
- 1 large can of tomatoes
- 2-3 cups veg or chicken stock
- 3 cups cooked chickpeas
- Juice & zest of 1 lemon
- Handful of cilantro
- Saute the onion and garlic in the oil until soft but not brown.
- Add the spices, stir for a minute or so.
- Add the roasted red peppers, tomatoes and broth.
- Simmer until thickened (30 minutes). Add the chickpeas, season with salt and pepper. Simmer gently to thicken and further develop flavour. Add the lemon juice and zest and cilantro.