Too Many Zucchinis? Try Crispy Zucchini Fritters
|Crispy zucchini fritters are a delicious way to enjoy bountiful summer squash.|
Too many zucchini?
If you’re one of those people who (like the jokes) ends up with too many zucchini, crispy zucchini fritters are another way to use them up. Serve zucchini fritters as a vegetable side dish or as a starter along with a few greens and a bit of soft goat’s cheese.
- 2 cups grated zucchini, squeezed to remove moisture
- 1 medium potato, boiled peeled & mashed with the back of a fork (you want some little lumps for texture)
- Zest of ½ a lemon
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 2-4 Tbsp diced onion
- 1 egg, beaten
- Handful of fresh herbs, chopped (oregano and mint or parsley and basil)
- 1 cup panko or bread crumbs
- Sea salt & pepper to taste
Olive oil for frying
I grate my zucchini on the coarse side of a box grater. Before adding it to the bowl I squeeze it a handful at a time to remove some of the moisture.
In a medium bowl combine all ingredients and shape into small, flat patties (about 3” across). Chill for 30 minutes, if you have time. No worries if you don’t.
Heat a saute pan over medium heat. Add about 1 Tbsp. of olive oil and when it starts to shimmer add the first batch of patties, not too many at a time. Fry for about three minutes (until golden) and then flip and fry for a couple of minutes more.