|Homemade fish burgers with a crispy panko crust can be ready to eat in under 30 minutes.|
Is there anyone else who thinks that Jamie Oliver’s partnership with Sobey’s stores in a big sell out?
I love the guy and his books and was beyond thrilled when full-page newspaper ads announced that he was bringing his fast and from-scratch wholesome family cooking philosophy to the Sobey's chain of grocery stores."How perfect!", I thought. You can’t get any more grass roots for the masses than the local grocery store.
And then I spied Jamie’s frozen fish sticks in the seafood department of my local Sobey’s, just a step away from the fish counter where all manner of fresh fish is sold... A 15-minute drive from the Bay Of Fundy and dozens of fishing communities.
Frozen fish sticks.
The store is full of packaged and frozen this and that, all with his name on it.
Like I said…
But back to fish…After a winter of creamy salt cod fish cakes I love to shift to fresh fish burgers. This recipe is from my sister-in-law, Jane and can be made with any kind of fresh fish. They’re quick to mix up and can be fried or baked. Serve them in a bun or alongside tabouli and fresh spring vegetables.
Jane’s Fish Burgers
Makes 12 burgers
- 1 medium-large potato, peeled & cooked until tender
- 1 lb haddock, salmon or any other fresh fish
- 1 Tbsp. plain yogurt
- ¼ cup minced green onion or chives
- 1 egg, beaten
- Juice and zest of ½ a lemon
- ½ cup panko or bread crumbs
- ¼ tsp salt
- A few grinds of black pepper
- Small handful of chopped fresh herbs (parsley, cilantro…)
- ¾ cup panko for dredging
- In a large bowl, mash potato. Chop fish into ½ to 1-inch pieces and add to bowl. Add remaining ingredients and combine gently but well. Form into patties (not too big).
- Put ¾ cup panko on a plate or in a shallow bowl. Press each side of the patties into the panko to coat. (Patties should be moist enough that panko adheres well.)
- Pan fry or bake at 400 F on a parchment lined baking sheet that has been brushed with oil. If you’re baking them, flip the patties after 10 minutes and continue baking until done (about 10 minutes more).