Mediterranean Thickening Sauce for Soup
|This thickening sauce made from sun dried tomatoes and roasted red peppers adds flavour and depth to soups.|
Mediterranean thickening sauce adds texture and depth of flavour to soups.We are a soup family. Through the fall and winter hearty soups are on the menu at our house more than any other dish. Many of the soups I make are tomato based (making use of all the roasted tomato sauce I put up each fall) and all except for one are vegetarian.
Sometimes soup can use a little help. If it's feeling too thin or the flavour seems a little watery or undefined it's handy to have a trick to liven it up.
This Mediterranean thickening sauce is just the thing.
This soup thickener is based on a recipe I found at the back of the book Splendid Soups by James Peterson. A couple of scoops of this flavourful sauce add texture and body to any broth (tomato or other).
Even better, the sauce gives a wonderful depth to the flavour of your soup or stew which is often helpful if you don’t have a flavourful stock for a base.
I keep a batch in the fridge during soup season to liven up all sorts of my recipes. It makes its way into the occasional sauce too.
Mediterranean Thickening Sauce for SoupIngredients:
- 1/3 cup sun dried tomatoes, soaked, drained and chopped
- 2/3 cup bread crumbs
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 roasted red peppers, chopped
- Pinch of salt
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- Soak sun dried tomatoes in boiling water to cover for 10 minutes. Drain and chop.
- Place bread crumbs and garlic in the food processor and whirr until the garlic is finely minced. Add red peppers, tomatoes, and salt. Puree, and then add the olive oil.
- Scrape into a jar with a tight fitting lid. Will last in the fridge for up to a month.